ANST - curious about archers in war scenarios

Silva fairborn at swbell.net
Sun Dec 7 10:24:12 PST 1997

I have a question for anyone that care to respond. I have often wondered
if a large group of archers ( 80 - 150), firing in mass could break the
charge of a large group of infantry or heavy calvary. I have seen the
effectiveness many times of archers upon the field. However, I have
never seen a large group as stated above work together to stop an even
larger force of infantry. Can this be done? Is it impractical for the
way we fight? Is it possible that this tatic has no use in large field
melee's like at Gulf War? I have been to every single gulf war and I
have yet to see it on really either side.
Comments? Suggestions? and yes this year I will be an archer at Gulf
Wars.

H.L. Richard Fairbourne