ANST - Baldar Blunts

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Tue Dec 9 15:34:27 PST 1997

Becouse when Thisle milles first came out they were tested and found to hit
to hard, and there for were not alowed on the light/rapier list. Baldars are
even harder and have there for not been allowed. I have set up a test with
Dona Leah to see if Baldars with additional foam padding might be alowed,
and to test various fiberglass shafted arrows to see if they are going to be
ok or if they hit to hard.
AWA/marklands and variants weight about 1.7 oz. while the various fiberglass
shafted arrows I have made and tested on heavy fighters weight 2.7 to 3.1
oz. The Baldars on fiberglass being the weviest, when you add additional
foam padding the weight goes up to 3.3 oz. I have also padded some Baldars
on wood and will ask about testing them, for the benifit of those that have
some still on wood. I would also hope that if the extra padding is found ok
that Baldars on wood shot from crosbows would be alowed. You may NOT  use
fiberglass shafts with crosbows testing is still going on; and more testing
needs to be done on them before they are alowed.
Ansteorra's Complete Participant's Handbook (Section 6)
 I. C. Combat Archers shall be prepared to receive blows just as any other
Combatant upon the Field and may carry, or have at hand, otherr weapons as
secondary/backup weapons.
I. E.1. Bows shall not be fired at opponents who are within 10 feet of the
archer.
I. E.2. Crossbows shall not be fired at opponents who are within 15 feet of
the archer.
My understanding of the above is that you can not shoot some one close than
10/15 feet dependiong on weapond but you MAY be struck or called dead. Your
opponents choise, is he realy ticked off and needs to hit an archer or does
he feel benevolent and is willing to call you dead. SCA white dimond of non
contact taking president over Ansteorra rules, just don't have a white
dimoned and then pick up a secondary weapond. If you have a white dimoned
and the opponent gets close just lay down and be dead or run fast.