ANST - A&S "skill ranks"...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Sat Dec 27 14:40:10 PST 1997

John Ruble said something that sounded like:
> I'm not a Laurel.  I'm more like a sprig of sage, oh sagely spriggin.

Hell. Laurel's don't know everything, despite what they think. *wink*

> "A Master/Mistress should be good enough in their craft to support
> themselves with it,"

I have heard this over and over and I think it's bull. Being able to
support themself is a completely relative concept. My persona is from a
small village in the marches between Wales and England. This is a
different lifestyle than someone who is living in London. This doesn't
even account for timeperiods, etc. Not only that, but we are a lot more
liberal with who is allowed to do an art/craft than was in period.

> I think this was supposed to mean that
> if this person were dumped N-centuries back in time, they would quickly
> rise to great recognition performing their craft, and they would achieve
> a level of acceptance among the nobles equivalent to what we are
> supposed to accord our Laurels.

Damn! You actually extended this simple concept to something more
reasonable in my opinion. Thank you.

> I know I've left out some things, but I think this list is fairly
> general enough to be applied to any art or craft.

Thank you very much. I truly appreciate your input on this. It is very
close to my concept of a master of an art/craft than a simple "must
complete X number of items". I have a few more additions that I would
like to add to it though.

Since most arts/crafts have modern equivalence, the master of the
art/craft in the Society must know how it was done in period and
experienced these methods themself.

Although we may not all be able to afford the materials that they used,
but we should know how to improvise to have similar methods. (Ie. Oak
strips in carboys instead of using oak barrels.) As well, we should try
to avoid those methods that we know are not healthy, where applicable.

Of course about any one can simply follow period methods/recipes, it is
the master who can on the spot create something that will withstand
scrutiny with regards to it's periodness. (Why this herb/spice/fruit/grain
was used, why this method is the right one to use, etc.)

> There are a few
> more things that go with this to be made a Peer of the Realm, but I'll
> leave that definition to those more knowledgeable than I.

You are more knowledgeable than you think.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase  |  "And I ain't in it for the power
Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |   And I ain't in it for my health