ANST - Deficiency in Ansteorran Law? (was: Jafar'

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Sun Dec 28 16:58:54 PST 1997

Galen of Bristol, surprised that his thread seems to
have made it to the Outlands list, replies to AEflaed:

SandraDodd at aol.com wrote:

> << But I checked Midrealm Law and lo,
> it specifies that when either the Crown Prince or Princess can't
> fulfill their duties, the other continues alone.>>
>
> Outlands says the remaining person becomes sovereign and chooses a consort.
>  (Unless it has been changed.)  This was discussed in great depth when Theo
> (who passed away recently) had triple bypass surgery while he was king.   It
> would have worked well when Brion Tarragon's lady Queen died, but the steward
> at the time overlooked Atenveldt law and did otherwise.
>
> <<I don't much care which way we go, but it should be covered
> it law. >>
>
> That's one of the things Corpora lists that kingdoms are required to cover in
> their laws.
>
> It is my understanding that there must be a sovereign AND a consort.

That's not what _Corpora_ says.  _Corpora_ requires the Crown Lists
choose a prospective Sovereign & Consort, who take, at their Coronation,
the titles of King and Queen.  _Corpora_ requires each kingdom to
provide in its Kingdom Law procedures to deal with the failure of
the King, Queen, Crown Prince or Crown Princess.

I hope
> the Midrealm isn't allowed to have one or the other.  That would bode ill for
> many, as there have been many who might have wanted to just "divorce" their
> consort sometime before or during the reign, but have been prevented from
> doing so by the requirement that the king and queen agree to such things as
> peerages and laws.

Loathe as I am to dispute a former Steward of the SCA, especially one
for whom I have so much respect, my read of _Corpora_ is that Midrealm
Law is fully within the restrictions and requirements of Corpora.

Indeed, Ansteorran Law holds that if we lose a King or a Queen, the
other continues alone and completes the reign.

> AElflaed

- Galen

P.S.  AElflaed, sorry you got two copies of this.