ANST - Fynnon Gathian Fighter Practice

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 31 23:42:54 PST 1997

Salut, Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Kevon sez:
>Firstly I would say YES to the weekend FP.  As I live in Lockhart (Fynnon
>Gath) Bryn Gwylad is much closer (by 30 miles) than Bjornsborg, but far
>enough away that makes Tuesday nights a bit of a hassle.  Tempio is over 90
>miles away from me, and that would put Bjornsburg back in the picture.
>Unfortunately none is as convenient as weekends in Bryn Gwylad.  I realize
>that My Lady and I are probably one of the few who are in this predicament,
>but I would LOVE to see a weekend fighter practice in BG.

Well, coming from yours truly this will probably sound odd, but--though not
exactly opposed to the idea--I'm not altogether in favor of weekend fighter
practices in Bryn Gwlad.  I have several reasons for this position, but
I'll try to express them each briefly.

First, weekend practices are too easily disrupted.  Holidays and proximate
SCA events pretty well snuff weekend practices.  Very few players will
tourney on Saturday and then practice on Sunday, and most Ansteorran events
last into Sunday anyway.

Second, Bryn Gwlad used to run practice on Sundays in Hancock park.  Once
the unofficial practices started on Tuesday night, Bryn Gwladians began to
gravitate to that practice.  The Sunday practices died (about four years
ago) for lack of interest due to a combination of competition with the
Tuesday practice and my first point.

Third, I tried running an unofficial Sunday practice for a few weeks--about
a year ago.  I never had a huge turnout (six fighters was my peak turnout),
and fighters gradually stopped attending.

Fourth, I'm holding an additional practice on Thursdays in the usual Bryn
Gwlad location.  I know that doesn't solve Kevon's and Therion's problems
with weeknight practices, but it does increase the options and
opportunities for the rest of us.

Fifth, when is Fynnon Gath holding practice?  You guys have a knight and at
least three other fighters I've met.  Besides, seems I've heard Sir Corwyn
boasting that he's going to be bringing the largest contingent of warriors
to Gulf Wars.  Those new warriors need practice.  Why don't you set up a
regularly scheduled practice in Fynnon Gath--on Sunday, if that's your
wont--and the available Bryn Gwlad and Bjornsborg fighters can pop down/up
occasionally to support *your* practice.

Incidentally, I will be holding practice tomorrow--er, today--on January
1st at 7:30 pm in the usual Bryn Gwlad location.  I here we'll have some
out of town company, too.  Please come out and help me put some battle
scars on my new bastard sword.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace