cloven fruit

Heidi J Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Wed Feb 5 16:08:37 PST 1997

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Marc D McKeeman wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Feb 1997 19:36:44 -0600 psobaka at mail.myriad.net (harry
> billings) writes:
> >NO, NO its "out going" or "on the way", it's "in coming" if you see
> >one
> >coming at you/ your group
> >

> >>Grasp the fruit well in hand
> >>Take note of the prominate clove
> >>Grasp the clove with the teeth, pulling it out
> >>Cock back the arm with the fruit
> >>With the cry, "Incoming" throw the fruit into the next world
> >>
> >>But then again I was raised in Bjornsborg.
> >>Crandall
> >>

> >Plachoya Sobaka a most insignificant archer in Ravens Fort Kingdon of
> >Ansteorra
> >

> Ya all know this is kind of cute....  But i do believe the poster was
> serious, so if some one can answer the original post,  I would like to
> know also.  Or was it just another 20th century way to get kissed, and
> pass it off as period.
>
> H.L. Marcus.

Crandall was completely serious -- this is precisely how real
Bjornsborgers deal with cloved fruit.  Back in the dim recesses of time,
the ladies of Bjornsborg decided we didn't need the excuse of a cloved
fruit to kiss anyone we pleased and, in fact, rather preferred our own
initiative.  Exactly when the grenade maneuver took over I can't say, but
I'm positive Viscountess Counstance had something to do with it.  And we
yell "Incoming" in memory of Moonbear who, when a cloved lemon rebounded
into the crowd, hurled himself upon it and manfully took the brunt of the
"explosion".

Just a little Bjornsborg history; and an explanation of why you don't
give cloved fruit to Bjornsborgers.  (I still remember a large contingent
from Stargate looking on in horror as Constance was offered the last of
the cloved fruit by someone who knew no better, and the tree-trembling
cry of "NOOOOOO!" that shook birds out of the branches as she smiled
sweetly and lobbed the thing into the darkness with a pitch that would
have done.....well, some famous baseball pitcher, proud.)

Thanks for your time.

Mari