Ansteorra On-Line Award Voting Resul

Paul T. Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Fri Feb 7 07:30:59 PST 1997

Pug Bainter wrote:

> > I know that at least one nominator did not vote (myself, as compiler of the
> > votes). The originator of the award did not vote. As list maintainer, could
> > you let us know an approximate average count of accounts subscribed? Number
> > of voters as a percentage of subscribers might be interesting. It could also
> > be unbearably depressing, come to think of it.
>
> I think it'd be depressing, but hey.
>
>      187 ansteorra
>       47 ansteorra-digest
>      234 total
>
> So that makes a little less than 10% of the current populace voting. If
> you take me, you and Galen into account, we get to exactly 10% accounted
> for. If we assume that all 20 people didn't vote, we'd have ~39 people
> accounted for. Making the percentage ~17%. I think/hope that's even less
> than the average voting percentage for real elections.
>
> > Remember also that each nominator had three possible nominees, and only
> > three votes later.  Even with the duplications among nominations, I was
> > actually a little surprised (and pleased, in a way) that 16 individuals
> > received votes.
>
> Ahh. That's right, so if everyone could have 3 nominees, that would only
> need about 9 people doing the original nominations. (Counting the
> duplicate nominations I remember of the top of my head.) So we then have
> over 200% of the nominating populace voting. That's a much better
> percentage.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
> Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |  graceful about that lady. A young woman bursting with
> House Flaming Dog     |  vigor. She blinked at the sudden light. She writes
> pug at pug.net           |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"

I accepted nominations from 17 people.  There was no limit on the number
of people a single person could nominate, but I don't think anyone
nominated more than 3.  Two sent nominations I disqualified as
frivolous; neither seemed to understand it was Ansteorra-specific --
one had nominated the website for a Barony in An Tir!

- Galen of Bristol
Paul T. Mitchell - pmitchel at flash.net
http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel (new site!)
"Broken promises don't upset me.  I just think, why did they
believe me?"  - Jack Handey (and not Bill Clinton, after all)