PR packet

Lee Forgue eilis at haas.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 10 14:28:28 PST 1997

At 04:00 PM 2/10/97 EST, R o W wrote:

>Some groups don't WANT new members.   Example--  the West Kingdom (of all
>places!!) seneschal has Forbidden 'on line' announcement of sca event
>locations & times.   Further; it is forbidden to disclose a method of
>reaching the 'contact person' unless prior permisssion is granted.   It
>has been years since an attempt at a press release has been seen.
>Apparently the West Kingdom (at least) is a 'secret society'.

Robert, I hate to contradict you in public, but I think I may be the only
other Westerner on the Ansteorrran list.

The West Kingdom policy is that the exact location of an event site cannot
be announced in an open electronic forum.  This is took keep events from
being overwhelmed by people who have no idea what's happening.  It's okay
to publish a description of the event along with a contact person.  This
insures that everyone who shows up at least knows that the SCA is about the
Middle Ages.  This applies primarily to the Web and to the Rialto -- the
Kingdom mailing list is more private.

It's also WK policy that no one's name, address, etc. will be published on
the Web without their prior permission.  This only makes sense in these
days of disaffected ex-husbands, etc.

  --- eilis o'boirne, Western lurker on the Ansteorran list