On-line vs. Printed Newsletters (long)

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Feb 11 11:19:46 PST 1997

> Another Question---

And a good one.

> If the On-line BS prints event announcements in their entirety will
> people have a use to buy the "official version".

Yes.

> What result do you think it might have on the number of memberships bought?

You think people pay for their membership *just* to get the Blackstar? I
would hope that only a small portion of the populace does that. Those
people who don't pay for their membership still get to all of those
events. At Candlemas this last weekend, around half of the people had to
sign waviers for either not being a member or not having their
membership card with them. (I know we had a high proportion of non-members
within that population. Less than half the people seated at my table during
feast were members.)

Although I may not agree with the fact that you *have* to pay the higher
cost to get the BS (instead of being able to not getting it), I always have
paid for it just to help out. This game I play has a very large monitary
cost, and the cost of a yearly subscription is only a small part of it.

I spend more than the cost of membership on any particular set of clothes,
boots, food and drink for an event, site and feast for some events, gas to
get to the event, etc. I don't think I've gotten out of a single event
without spending at least $50.  If I average only 1 event a month, that
makes the cost of the membership to be less than 10% of the overall yearly
cost. (I attent more events in the fall/winter/spring than summer, but
overall probably 1 a month. As well, my costs include 2 persons.)

One thing we need to always keep in mind is that we *do* want new
members. We don't want to stagnate with our current population.

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  |  "If you want my views of history,
Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |   there is something you should know.