Winning at Gulf War

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Fri Feb 21 21:17:42 PST 1997

Greetings, all Good Ansteorrans.  And you bad ones, too, over there in the
balcony cutting up!  I see you! (yes, and I'm normally one of them, too!)

Seriously, folks, I have some concerns about the language I've been seeing
on the list in the last week that amounts to "Ansteorra Must Win at Gulf War."

Friends, I am as patriotic as the next person, but I really think as a
Society we have drifted offbase when we allow the small-town-football
mentality to invade our wars.  Yes, it is nice to win.  Yes, it is good to
be competitive.  But when winning becomes and end-all and be-all imperative,
tempers flare and people get hurt.

Remember, we are ALL friends.  The Trimaran troops are our comrades in this
grand Dream of ours, and they want to be able to go to work come mundanity
on Monday morning, unbroken and unbloodied.

*I* think the war-cry should be "Go to Gulf Wars and Have a Great Lot of FUN
Fighting!"

Winning or losing is irrelevant.  For each of our chivalrous fighters,
PERSONAL HONOR should be what's important.  Isn't that why you joined the SCA?

My thoughts...
Wassail,
::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva