cloven fruit

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed Feb 5 08:43:12 PST 1997

Greetings,

H.L. Marcus stated:

>Ya all know this is kind of cute....  But i do believe the poster was
>serious, so if some one can answer the original post,  I would like to
>know also.  Or was it just another 20th century way to get kissed, and
>pass it off as period.

Yes, I believe the original poster was serious. And frankly, I believe
that anyone treating a properly presented cloved fruit as a hand-grenade
is being rude and obnoxious.

When presented with a cloved fruit, it is
the presentee's choice as to how far to carry things. This could be a
hand-kiss or less on up. Usually you take out one of the cloves before
giving the return kiss. Whether you bite the clove or not is your choice.
Then you find another individual to present the cloved fruit to. This
can all be done in good taste. One of the hardest parts for me was
working up the nerve to approach someone else in the off chance it
was presented to me. For those like me, heaving the fruit away may
seem more like rejection than humourous.

Cloved fruit were used as pomanders in period and were presented as
rather expensive gifts. However, the cloved-fruit game as it is played
in the SCA is an SCA invention. The following two messages come from
the main inventor of the game. This is from my file:

cloved-fruit-msg  (14K)  3/ 7/96    Period cloved fruit. Origin of the SCA
game.