On-line vs. Printed Newsletters (long)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Feb 10 22:10:30 PST 1997

Wm., please forward this to the Kingdom Chronicler at an appropriate
time.

I think a Black Star Web page lacking event announcements and a
directory is useless.

I would say that The Black Star is one publication that happens to be
put out in two formats: one printed and sent to subscribers, one
electronic on the web, and that the chronicler's officer may put info
into either edition as may prove convenient.  (Add a proviso that in
case of disagreement and in the absence of other information the
printed copy should be considered authoritative.  "Other info" means,
on the Web page, "They lost their site!  The new site is ...").

At the minimum for event announcements, I'd say to make it clear on
the Submission Policies page that it goes in both or it goes in
neither.  I would say the same for officer's communications, Great
Officers contact info, and the kingdom calendar (official and
tentative planning).

The directory and other contact info could be avoided if there were a
way (e-mail link) to reach a contact person -- "I'm trying to reach
the seneschal of Fooland and the autocrat of Nerf War; could you
please forward this message?".  Even so, volunteers are unreliable in
this organization.  So I'm wavering on that.

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, William H. Herron III <wherron at sprintmail.com>
wrote:
> 1)  Does the standard Release for Publication (in your Black Star) grant
> the permission to the Kingdom Chronicler to reproduce the material in
> any official (Corporate-owned) SCA publication, including a Kingdom
> Newsletter on the Web?  (That's the legal question)  And should it?
> (That's the everyman's question).

For the latter, it should, making the former question moot.

> 2)  How do we balance the privacy of warranted officers (to include
> autocrats in event announcements) against the need for information?

Err ...

> 3) (Sorry for the legalese.)  Does the Society for Creative
> Anachronism, Inc., operating as a foreign corporation everywhere
> except for the Northern California Non-Profit Corporation Act
> boundaries,

I dimly recall something about the Corp. having Legal Agents in
various states and/or being registered in various states.  I have
absolutely no idea what that might imply legally, much less whether
it's true.

> have a legal responsibility to disclose the names/addresses/phone
> numbers of its corporation's officers within a particular area
> (e.g. a state)?

Well, I assume the Board and By-Laws officers at least have to be
published at least.

--
Daniel de Lincoln
                             Tim McDaniel