Guilds

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 11 12:24:31 PST 1997

        Mostly what Pug says is quite true.  He tends to be a little more
chaotic than I am so let me add a little more to his otherwise exemplary
comment (wink)
 Some areas require reports from the guilds to the A & S minister.  This
can be as formal or as informal as the group or minister decides.  A lot of
times, you can ask a guildmember what up and incorporate that into a A&S
report.  I have done this when last I was a minister and overall it works
fine.  The A&S minister needs to at least make sure that the guild meets
and does something occaisionally. What they need to be aware of is what is
done and who is doing it.   (This is the bare minimum, I suppose)  Over
time, I have come to prefer the informal structure over the formal.

        Some guilds always seem to be there..... Dance is usually a popular
guild and most groups have one.  The Barony of the Steppes have a Practicum
once a month, which has some authority or guest lecturer come and
demostrate.  Thomas and I went up for one Thomas taught on stone carving.
I have been to several and they were a lot of fun.  Lady Olwen and I did
the Companions of St. Rita for awhile which was sorta the same thing.
Bardic Circles are pretty fun and there's a lot of groups that have one.  I
think guilds need to be flexible and conform to the needs of the group....
        There used to be Kingdom Guilds as well.  I have collected a lot of
information about SCA and period guilds since my persona is a member of the
Spicers/Grocers Guild in London.  I am fascinated with Women in the
Medieval Guidl Structure (Not that that has anything to do with SCA guilds)

Clare