Known World Academy of the Rapier - Event announcement

Nataliia Nataliia at sun1.uconect.net
Sun Feb 23 03:44:18 PST 1997

KNOWN WORLD ACADEMY OF THE RAPIER - East Kingdom - May 23 - 26

The Barony of Bergental, is hosting the Known World Academy of Rapier on
May 23, 24, 25 and 26 of 1997 (Memorial Day Weekend) in western
Massachusetts and invites all rapier fighters across the Known World to
come and join in learning, fencing, research and fun.   Spouses, significant
others, friends of fencers as well as curious onlookers are also welcome and
will have suitable entertainment.

The Academy will include classes on historical rapier research, personna
development, teaching, combat techniques, and more.  Rapier fighters
from all corners of the Known World are invited to take part.  The Academy
is still looking for willing teachers to share their knowledge of Rapier.
There will also be plenty of fencing available to all who wish to partake and
possibly try out that newly learned knowledge.

And if that isn't enough to whet your appetite, the Northern and
Central Region Fencing Championship will also take place on Saturday and
will be run by the current Northern and Central Region Champion, Kai
MacLean.  As in the past, the challenge for the longest titled champion is a
traditional bear pit tourney which will allow fencers to jump in and out as
they please if classes or other distractions take their attention.  You are not
required to be a resident of the North or Central Region in order to
participate in the tourney, but must be a resident of said regions in order to
win the tourney. For more information on the tourney, please contact Kai
MacLean through the autocrat.

There will also be a meal plan prepared and overseen by our most noble,
Lord Liam St. Liam Lady Aemelia.   The meal plan will include Saturday,
Sunday and Monday breakfast board, Saturday and Sunday lunch board and
Saturday and Sunday tavern style dinner.  Dietary restrictions or questions
should be addressed to Lord Liam at toscano at uconect.net.

Merchants are most heartily welcome (Nataliia likes bright shiny things)
and should contact the autocrat directly so that I know that you are coming
to visit.  Merchants should provide their own tables and cover if
necessary.

The site is the YMCA Camp Ponterril, East Acres Road, (No  #),
Pittsfield, Massachusetts.  The site is a beautiful spot with toilets, hot
showers, lovely treed camping areas, A-Frames for crashing and teaching in
and stores, gas, hotels, and restaurants nearby.  Site opens at 6 p.m. on
Friday and closes at noon on Monday.  Anyone left on site after noon on
Monday will be given to the cleanup crew.

You say that your lovely lord or lady would like something to do while
you wile away your hours in rapier classes and on the list, well, space is
available for both archery and heavy list, please bring your own
marshals.

Fees:  Site fee $12 all weekend if paid on or before April 1, 1997.
After April 1, 1997 to the day of the event, fee for all weekend is $14, $8
for the day.  Children 12 and under are 1/2 price.  Meal plan, $15 all
weekend if paid on or before April 1, 1997.  After April 1, 1997 and
before May 1, 1997 meal plan is $20 for the weekend.  No reservations for
the meal plan will be taken after May 1, 1997.   Meal plan is by reservation
only and will not be take at the door.  Where can you get fed for the weekend
for this price?

Autocrat is Baronyessa Nataliia Anastasiia Evgenova Sviatoslavina
vnuchka (Mary-Ellen Toscano) telephone 860-464-2967, before 10 p.m. E.S.T.
or by email at Nataliia at uconect.net..  Reservations clerk is Baron Tibor of
Rock Valley (Mark Schuldenfrei), email at schuldy at MATH.HARVARD.EDU,
telephone number 1-617-648-5326, address: Mark Schuldenfrei, 109 Milton
Street, Arlington MA 02174-8734.   Reservations should be sent to the
reservations clerk with Mundane Name, address, SCA name, resident
Kingdom, and fee and/or meal plan being paid should be included.  If you
desire a receipt or confirmation, please include a self addressed stamped
envelope.

Directions:  East/South:  Take your best route to I-90 Mass Pike.  Get
off at Exit 2, Lee.  Take Rt 20 North through Lee.  Rt 20 will merge with Rt 7
North into Pittsfield (near the city line are food, motels and small shopping
center) YMCA Camp Ponterril is off Rt 7 North about 5.5 miles from the
city line, approximately 2 miles from Rt 7/Rt 9 intersection ** you will
pass Giovanni's Restaurant on your left.  Shortly there is a stop light.  The
site is about 100 feet after the light on the right side just after The
Fireplace Store.

>From the North:  Take Rt 7 South to Pittsfield.  Site is on the left about .5
miles south of the city line.

>From the West:  Take either Rt 20 East to Rt 7 North in Pittsfield ** or take
I -90 Mass Pike to Exit 2, Lee and follow above directions from East/South.

For those of you gentles who will be visiting us from out of Kingdom,
this event is in the East Kingdom where everything is darn near everything.
The nearest airport is Bradley International Airport (Hartford), technically
in Windsor Locks, Connecticut and one and a half hours from the site.  And
is a simple hop from I - 91 to I - 90.    Logan Airport in Boston is
approximately 2 1/2 hours from the site and is a simply hop onto I - 90.
Those wishing to procure pickups from the airport should contact the
interkingdom liaison who will coordinate with locals, Lady Ysabeau de
Taureon, at ysabeau at gnu.ai.mit.edu.  Any requests for crash space, airport
pickups, borrowing tentage, etc., should be directed to Lady Ysabeau.

----------------------------END OF EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT----------

The web site for KWAR is located at:

www.io.com/~ches/rapier.html

and will contain the class schedule and information as it is updated.

Please cross post as you like.  Thank you.

Please be aware that I am not on all of the lists listed above, so any
questions should be sent directly to Nataliia at uconect.net.

Thanks for your patience.

Nataliia