personas

Baker, Mike mbaker at rapp.com
Tue Jan 14 09:00:00 PST 1997

<pardon if my use of the proper forms is less than totally accurate>

By the Name of the Most High and Glorious, to Whom all praise is due,

The gentle lady Britta asks for discussion upon a most serious and yet
joyful matter, being the proper selection of costume and accompanying
manners of comportment.

This can be a most vexatious matter even for long-time participants in our
Society, and can be made more complex by those of us who choose to emulate
those illustrious ancestors who were not restricted to a specific place or
even culture.

In my own humble example, the "long boring persona story" can now easily
consume four hours of story-telling, and this without trying very hard. As a
merchant, mercenary, and emigre to the New World in the very late XVIth
century, and with preliminary researches permitting this poor traveller's
span to reach from the Orient to the mountains of New Mexico, I have a
greater variety of costumes to choose from (and, sadly, less adherence to
any specific style).

I also have the advantage of a very broad basis of learning with which to
back this set of tales and attitudes, and evidence which allows me also to
blend equally well with the earliest Kelt or Norse who sojourn among us.  I
am not as well versed in the Persian and related Arabic or Moghul cultures
as I would like, and am still adding important detail to my knowledge of
"Italian" and Spanish civilization in my chosen time frame.

By deliberately choosing this far-ranging scope, I knew in the beginning
that my level of authenticity would suffer. I chose to proceed in order that
I might with more verisimilitude include several of those disparate cultures
in my costume and in my comportment. (I also opted for this later time frame
to at least partially justify my participation in all three combat forms
permitted at that time IN THE STYLE THAT *I* CHOSE to use:  emphasis
deliberate, as I am not to this day convinced that my excursions into heavy
weapons forms would have been improved by necessarily studying sword&board
before taking up my preferred hand&half-with-basket. People *do* keep
trying, though, and I thank them for it graciously...)

The lady Britta will note that I have not addressed _specific_ matters of
costume as yet. I would have her know that I feel the most important aspect
of proper SCA costuming is that it be comfortable for the participant to
wear, of as authentic materials as can be conveniently maintained, and
consist of several separate outfits each of which may be appropriate for one
circumstance but most of which can be adapted to others. For my example,
consider a "wealthy peasant" woman's wardrobe consisting of three outer
dresses, at least two underdresses/chemise, a pair of cloaks (summerweight
and winterweight), assorted footwear (sandals, shoes, & boots), and several
styles of apron or overtunic. By changing the layering, adding accesories,
accumulating one piece at a time, and experimenting with cross-lacing or
other outward ornaments, the final array obtainable can easily rival that
displayed upon their own body by any Laurel of a comparable time-frame. (I
was tempted to use the venerable Mistress Gunnora as an exemplar for
early-to-midddle Norse, but quailed at the thought of anyone else managing
to accumulate an equivalent display of amber from a standing start...)

I would hope that my humble words are of value to any who might read them,
as I am by the Grace of the Eternal

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra

mundanely:
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!