Awards Policy

Scott Fridenberg scottf at galaxy.galstar.com
Wed Jan 15 00:36:58 PST 1997

Joe Bosko wrote:

> I have a question.. In order for someone to receive an Order of Merit (or
> for that matter ANY SCA Award) shouldn't they be a "PAID" member of the
> society?  If not, then I believe the procedures need to be changed.  An
> individual CANNOT be deserving of the above mentioned award (or any) if
> he/she DOES NOT attend ANY Shire events; discourages other members of
> his/her household from attending or participating in Shire events or help
> the Shire in any way.. Can I get some other views (acrubray at wtrt.net)

Am I missing something here?  In what way does not being a
paid member of the SCA inc. imply that the person does not
attend any shire events and discourages others from doing so?

A person can contribute to the betterment of their local
chapter, their Kingdom and the Society as a whole without
sending any money to the SCA inc.  Are they any less deserving
of recognition because they haven't sent a check to the
corporation?  Some people would say yes.  I'm not one of
them.  There are many ways a person can contribute to the
Society, and I think that sending your money to Califorina is
the least of them.  I have been a paid member for years with
occaisional brief lapses.  Not because I think that I have any
duty to be a paied member if I play in the SCA, but because I
feel that the benifits of membership *BARELY* justify the
expense.

I do not believe that membership should be required in
order to be eligable for awards.  I also feel that charging
extra at events for non-members is a vile and reprehensable
practice, and I generaly avoid attending events held by groups
that do so, even though I am a paid member and it doesn't
apply to me.  I am very proud of the fact that Northkeep has
never charged extra for non-members.  When the mandatory
non-member surcharge was in effect we collected the money
ourselves and did not collect it from our guests.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Robert Fitzmorgan
Barony of Northkeep