Awards Policy

Jeanne C. Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Wed Jan 15 14:50:19 PST 1997

> Countess, I am told households used to be VERY VERY BIG THINGS
> indeed in Ansteorra.  The was an award for households: Pillar of
> Ansteorra

This is really interesting, because in the post you are responding
to, I started to talk about my household but refrained because I'd
gone on at length already--but my household, which is based in
Oertha, has a Pillar of the West.  It sounds like the Pillar of
Ansteorra may predate it, which is something I'd never heard, but
is cool to know.  Our household received the fourth Pillar of the
West given in that kingdom.

Households are a *huge* deal in Oertha; somewhat less so in
the West, but they still exist.  Actually, a big power in the West
are
the fighting units, which aren't quite like households but accomplish
some of the same functions.

. From the little I've heard (e.g., the feuding between
> Clan Cadall and another clan whose name escapes me)x, it's a good
> thing that households are far, far less important.  Currently, the
> only important household -- indeed, I don't know if it's a household
> per se or just an unofficial group -- is (IIRC) Duke Sigmund's
> Backyard Crew.  xBut I'm quite willing to be corrected if I err in
> this.

Households are like just about anything, good in moderation.  They
can be a wonderful support network, and they exist by choice rather
than chance (as is the case with zip code based geographical groups).
This is, of course, a two-edged sword, as too much of this unnatural
selection can lead to snobbery.  Households are also a great tool for
accomplishing service projects and major event undertakings.

However, they turn ugly when they become a be-all and end-all unto
themselves.
Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
Barony of Caerthe
Kingdom of the Outlands