Memberships, insurance, etc.

Lori Jones LJONES at bashful.ossm.edu
Thu Jan 16 15:14:13 PST 1997

> Last I heard, the event liability insurance does NOT cover SCA
> members.  If Sokol Hall burns down (which the Lord forbid), they
> get paid.  If Joe Seneschal lets people use his house for populace
> meeting and his hotpot explodes, he gets nothing from the SCA.
> Inc.

Some time ago, in a kingdom officer's meeting, it was explained that
the SCA's insurance policy is intended to cover our corporation in
the event of a huge loss that we would be unable to recover from
on our own.  For example:  if, at an event, a hall worth several
hundred thousand dollars burned to the ground, the insurance
policy *could* cover our losses in order to save our organization
from total financial devastation.  However, it is more likely that
the SCA would seek every alternative to making a claim on the policy,
as such a claim would increase our premiums to a phenominal rate.

Hopefully, this kind of thing would never happen, as our insurance
policy allows us access to many sites which we couldn't otherwise
lease - the beautiful Girl Scout Camp Red Rock site, (which we used
for last Crown), for example.   Without our current coverage, they
could not lease that site to us.

Just a note on memberships:
The warranted seneschal of a local group is the only representative
of that group authorized to sign contracts for leasing sites to that
group.  I believe a *warranted* autocrat may also be able to do this,
but I can't say for certain without looking it up.  This is irrespective
of their membership status.  If a warranted seneschal's membership
expires two weeks before he signs a site contract, the SCA, inc.
would still be obligated by his signature.  In other words, you might
have to be a member to be warranted, but maintaining your membership
once your warrant is signed is up to you (on your honor).  As it sits
right now, I don't think regional officers check for updates on proof
of memberships once the current expiration date on file for their
officer has ended.

The treasurer's office also works the same way to some degree.
Checks signed by a signatory whose membership has lapsed are
just as valid as if they were still paid members.  It gets a little
stickier in the treasurer's office, however, because a copy of your
membership card, along with a copy of a legal ID must be in the
kingdom files in order for a person to be warranted (I think this is
from the Society Chancellor of the Exchecquer's handbook, so it
wouldn't be something a kingdom can elect to waive).  I believe
the same is true for any signatory on an SCA, Inc. bank account
(whether they are seneschal, Baron or Baroness, a regional
treasurer, etc.).

Sorry to be so long-winded, but these can be very confusing issues.
As it sits, membership is required for certain SCA activities (they've
been mentioned already), but it *isn't* required to play.  As I
recall, we fought hard for this some time back, and are, for the most
part, pleased to offer the option to individuals who may not be able
to afford memberships.

If I'm wrong on any points, I'm not sensitive about being corrected.
Please feel free to offer any contradicting information. :-)

- Kat

Baroness Katrionna MacLochlainn
Barony of Wiesenfeuer, Ansteorra

Lori Jones
Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics - Library
Oklahoma City, OK
LJONES at ossm.edu

...My opinions are my own, not those of my employer...