Electronic publications...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Jan 17 09:49:24 PST 1997

Good Morning,

  I recently recieved my new Kingdom of Ansteorra Chronicler's Handbook
  and am quite concerned about one thing in it. I'm wondering if this is
  standard in the other Kingdoms, and if someone has taken into account
  mailing lists and newsgroups for "Electronic Publications." Or if my
  concerns are totally misplaced. (I know that if I didn't bring it up,
  it probably would have never been an issue at all.)

  Under Kingdom of Ansteorra Electronic Publications section, it states:

    An electronic publication, for the purposes of this handbook, is
    defined as any publication that is distributed or display by
    electronic means which holds itself out to be a publication of the
    Society or its branches. It includes web pages, ftp archives and
    other electronically stored and displayed information provided
    through electronic means (computer bulletin boards, the Internet,
    CompuServe, America Online or similar service) which are sponsored
    or authorized by a Society branch.

  Now, aren't SCA mailing lists, not to mention rec.org.sca, just that?
  If not, why not? (I found the definition of publication to not erase
  my concerns, since it confused me even more as well as being a bit
  cyclical.) The key may be simply if one "holds itself out to be a
  publication of the Society or its branches" or down to the issue of
  them being "sponsored or authorized by a Socity branch."

  Now the part that worries me personally:

    Oversite, control and responsibility of such electronic publications
    falls under the authority of the Chronicler's office. Local Branch
    Chroniclers are responsible for electronic publications produced by
    their branch. The Kingdom Chronciler has oversight over Kingdom
    level electronic publication and all other electroci publications
    below the Kingdom level.

  Being the list administrator for 2 SCA mailing lists, and having created
  almost a half a dozen more as well as 1 newsgroup, I'm concerned about
  this "Oversite, control and responsibility" clause. I for one, refuse
  to moderate, let alone try to control and be responsible for all of
  those people in the SCA, not to mention those who aren't, on the
  mailing list or have access to the newsgroups. (Not to mention, who
  would responsible for the oversite, control and responsiblity for
  rec.org.sca and other Society wide mailing lists. The Society
  Chronicler? *wink*)

  As the Deputy Kingdom Chronciler for Electronic Publications (Virtual
  Scribe), I do oversee and control a ftp and web site for the Kingdom
  of Ansteorra. These are very controlable medias. However I don't see
  mailing lists and newsgroups as being part of these duties at this
  time, nor do I think they should be nor are they controllable.

  Something I am less concerned about, but is still an issue, is the
  statement that the Local Branch Chroniclers be responsible for group
  web pages. Is that more of a case that the person doing it should
  be a deputy and know their responsibility or that the Chronicler
  should be directly responsible for maintaining it? I feel fairly
  certain that most group web pages are not being maintained by their
  Chronicler nor a deputy.

  Please let me know what all of you think. This was sent to the SCA
  Chroncilers list, the Ansteorra list, and the Kingdom of Ansteorra
  Chronicler. Of course the Kingdom Chronicler has the final say in
  this, but I would like to see what other people's thoughts are.

  Btw, sorry if this is a bit rambling and anal. That's the way I am
  about issues like this.

In Service,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something