Awards Policy

Scott Fridenberg scottf at galaxy.galstar.com
Wed Jan 15 02:07:20 PST 1997

        Upon reflection, (which should have been done before
posting, not after,) I want to clarify my earlier comments
concerning events that charge extra for non-members.  This
isn't a retraction.  What I posted does reflect my feelings on
the subject, but I could prouably have expressed it more
diplomaticaly.
        The Internet being what it is, it's not unlikely that
someone will take my posting to mean that I think that groups
that charge extra for non-members are full of vile and
reprehensable people.  That is not the case.  The Society is
made up of a very diverse group of individuals, who hold a
diverse set of opinions on almost any subject.  This is a good
thing.  Many people for whom I have the utmost respect have
opinions and beliefs that I strongly disagree with.  My
disagreement with them doesn't alter my respect for them, and
my respect for them doesn't alter my disagreement with them.
I learned long ago that good, decent, honorable people can
disagree, and still be good, decent, honorable people.
Personally I think it's a lesson more people both in and out
of the Society need to learn.  I am quite sure that those
groups who charge extra for non-members belive that they are
doing a good thing.  I disagree.
        I did not mean to imply that I automaticly boycott
all events that charge extra for non-members, but it is a factor
I consider in chosing which events I go to.  Fortunatly it
isn't an issue that comes up very often.  In looking through
the January Black Star I only find one event that is charging
non-members more than members.  Gulf War.  Actually the way
they phrase it is that members get a $5.00 discount, but it's
the same thing in my opinion.  In browsing throuugh an earlier
Black Star I couldn't find any events changing non-members
more.

Robert Fitzmorgan
Barony of Northkeep