Awards Policy

Baker, Mike mbaker at rapp.com
Wed Jan 15 09:56:00 PST 1997

Preface: Ansteorra has no "Order of Merit". We have an Iris of Merit and a
Star of Merit, so please forgive if I am a bit vague in the following
discussion.

It is my belief (based upon the wording of the complaint & my own past
experience) than the original poster may be complaining more about a
situation where a given gentleperson may be active at a level other than
"local", than about their actual "national" membership status.

FitzBubba has provided one of the most cogent quotes otherwise appearing in
this thread, and I consider it to be more than worthy of repetition:

> In fact, a grant-level service award (for example, a Star of Merit) is
> generally given for service to a Kingdom or Principality, not to a
> group.  A person who is not providing service to a local Shire could
> still qualify for a grant-level award based on their service to a
> Kingdom.

Payment or non-payment of membership as a prerequisite for receipt or
preservation of awards is an old-and-still-raw wound in Ansteorra. Awards
granted to individuals without evidence of local participation are an even
older and more contentious matter, which has in the past and apparently is
once again being exacerbated by an individual who is at odds with their
local group.

I, for one, do not consider it appropriate for any individual to actively
oppose the development of the SCA as an organization at any level _and_
still receive major awards.

However, Mr. Bosko (acrubray at wtrt.net ?) may have misunderstood the award
process.  The Crown can only act based upon the information actually in
Their possession. If all they have seen are recommendations based upon the
artistic achievements of an individual, or the service achievements, or the
combat prowess, it is not Their fault that a local issue of which they have
no knowledge may cloud any award given.

Now, if the forms of communication have been followed, the chain of
complaints adhered to, and an individual such as described by Mr. Bosko
still was given a Star of Merit, there may be cause for more serious
consideration of the matter.

Now, I think it's time for us to emulate the estimable Daniel de Lincoln,
grab our fishing poles, and head to the lake...

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!