Membership, Awards, Local Participation

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Thu Jan 16 06:59:11 PST 1997

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Gunnora Hallakarva <gunnora at bga.com> wrote:
> I feel strongly that all officers and those fighting in Crown MUST
> be members, because they have the potential in some or even many
> instances to find themselves representing the SCA, Inc. as an
> officer or as Crown.

Daniel de Lincoln/Tim McDaniel said:
The SCA's legal agent represents the SCA, Inc., in more important
causes than any single one of us.  They're not a member, so why does
anyone else have to be?

Heilsa, Daniel...

In order to represent an organization, a legal agent will have the
organization's power of attorney or some similar authorization for action.
Legally, there is no need for that person to have a membership.

Officers, barons/esses and Crowns NEED to be members, however, in order to
be covered by the SCA's liability insurance.  We could give them legal
powers such as access to bank accounts without a membership, but then you
get into insurance and liability questions. For pretty much any organization
which I've belonged to, from the Girl Scouts to ACM, officers of the group
must be members of the group.  I don't see why the SCA need be any different.

Wassail,
::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde