Coronation Recipes (long)

Michael Gunter michael_gunter1 at msmail.fnts.com
Mon Jan 20 12:33:31 PST 1997

Hello All,

Thank Heaven that Coronation is finally over!  I hope all who attended
enjoyed the event.

pen or paper, I promised I would send the recipes for some of the dishes on
the net.  Please let those in your groups know I've done this since some of
the people that asked weren't on the mailing list.

For those of you who wanted these I hope you enjoy them.

Turkey Cassoulet:

8 oz dry white beans (pea, navy, or great Northern)
4 cups chicken stock
2 lg carrots (trimmed, peeled, and diced)
1 stalk celery, washed trimmed and thinly sliced.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
3 whole cloves
1 medium onion, peeled
2 lbs ground turkey
3 oz tomato
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Sort the beans, discarding any stones or damaged beans.  Wash the beans in a
sieve under cold water.

Place the beans in a large pot with the stock, carrots, celery, salt, thyme
and bay leaves.  Push the cloves into the onion and add the onion to the pot.

Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, redxuce the heat to low and boil very
gently for about 1 1/2 hours (stirring every 15 to 20 minutes to keep the
mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot, until the beans are soft and
tender.

Remove the onion from the pot.   Take the cloves from the onion and discard
them.  Coarsly chop the onion and add it to the pot with the turkey, tomato,
parsley and garlic.  Bring the mixture back to a boil and boil it gently for
a few minutes until the turkey is fully cooked through.

Remove and discard the bay leaves and serve sprinkled with Tabasco sauce.
(Serves 6 as main course)

Jazariyya

2 lb meat cut into small cubes (I used a mixture of half lamb, half beef)
4 carrots (diced)
6 whole garlic cloves
4 small onions (diced)
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 cups spinach
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup parsley
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon salt

Put meat in a pot with 1 1/2 cup water and spices.  Simmer 10 minutes.  Add
carrots, whole garlic cloves and onions.  Simmer 10 minutes.  Add crushed
garlic.  Simmer 20 minutes.  Add spinach.  Simmer 10 minutes.  Garnish with
walnuts and parsley.

I served this over Morroccan Couscous.

Morroccan Couscous

1 1/2 cups couscous
1 Tbs. dried chives
2 tsp curry powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp granulated garlic
2 1/2 cups water
dried bananas, roasted cashews, etc...

Mix together couscous, chives, curry, salt, and garlic.

Add couscous mixture to water in saucepan.  Bring to a boil; cook 1 to 2
minutes.  Turn off heat, cover and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.  Fluff with
fork.  Add banana chips, raisins, nuts, whatever.  Serve
(This is a great recipe for campers)

Since this posting has been so long I'll stop here.  If you would like the
others I will post them as well.  Thank you for all the many nice compliments
I have received.  If you see any of my kitchen staff or servers, please let
them know if you enjoyed the meal.  They worked their behinds off so you
could have a good time.  And mostly, if you see Ly. Aelfric (the autocrat)
please thank her.  She gets all of the problems and none of the thanks.

Yers,

Gunthar