Ballista Spears

eric caladin at mail.io.com
Tue Jan 28 22:03:18 PST 1997

>>I have heard that ballista spears have to pass javelin standers.
>
>Well, here are the javelin standards in the Ansteorra Participant's Handbook:
>

>C. Hand Thrown Projectiles:
>
>1. Hand thrown projectiles are those weapons such as javelins, throwing
>axes, hammers, boulders, rocks, etc..
>
>a. All hand thrown projectiles shall be constructed entirely with approved
>materials.
>
>b. Hand thrown weapons shall not be constructed so as to flail or entangle,
>nor shall they be so large or heavy as to be hazardous when used.
>

>And that's all it says. Surely that doesn't mean I can use wooden shafts
>(like arrows)? Or do they have to be golf tubes? And I see nothing about
>head size/compression.

Actaully, I have a question,

If you DO make javelines out of wood ie like markland arrows, does this mean
they cannot be gleaned from the field like golf tubed ones do,

I think this is an excellent idea for three reasons.

1. it's safer to have them inspected

2. you'll get less silly sca golf tube flight,

3. Your opponents can't throw them back!!!!

c-

========
 Caladin Ironhearth Esq.             |   Eric W. Brown
 Scotland - 1596                     |   3229 Parkhills Drive,
 (look fer  me by the keg, laddie!)  |   Austin Texas 78746
                                     |   H (512)329-8643
                                     |   W (512)343-8833 xt. 235
========
 Green and White havsies with an     |   "Always remember the worst day of your
 otherway swapie doodle thingy       |    life, it sure beats the alternative."
 that looks like an ^ smack on it.   |    My Grandfather, John Brown