It just got harder

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Wed Jul 2 08:59:28 PDT 1997

Greetings unto all and most especially Sir Lyonel,

I truly enjoyed and appreciated your posting mentioned in the Subject line and it
accomplished the desired effect of making me reflect upon the state of sports and
honor within both the outside world and the Society.  Yes, there are bad people
out there.  Yes, they should be held in contempt for their actions both on and off
the field (ring, diamond, court, whatever).  Cheaters, rules-lawyers, criminals,
drug-addicts, rapists the whole kit-n-kaboodle should be known and discussed.
But one of the problems of recognizing the chaff is that we will tend to ignore
the vast majority of wheat out there.  For every Charles Barkley & Dennis Rodman
there is a Scotty Peppin.  For the Michael Irvin there is Emmit Smith and Daryl
Johnston.  For the Rhino-hiding, tantrum-throwing, arrogant Duke there is the
fighter who fights to the best of his ability and accepts a good blow.

The phenonomon of rhinos cannot be blamed on the current "bad boys in sports".
I know of people who simply could not be killed from AS II.  Anytime there is a
prize of some sort people will do anything to win it.  We have all faced these
people, some of whom consider themselves the ideal of chivalry, and lost to their
cheating.  Although I do condemn the Crown winner you described, I also applaud
and salute his most noble opponent who didn't escalate the battle.  He accepted
the blow and quietly walked away.  I wish I could have the nobility this man
showed.

I have often stated that people see the symbol as their all-important goal instead
of the journey, or gaining respect without the symbol.  There should be prizes
to honor hard work and skill.  Be it a white or black belt, a Crown, the Stanley
Cup or anything else that is desirable.

We must remember to honor those worthy of honor as much as we denigrate those
who deserve it.

My first rule that I tell my students and it is my motto that I try to live up to
(yes, I fail it sometimes I know) is: It is better to lose well than to win badly.

Winning is good but it is better to do it without losing.

Thank you for your words.

Yours,

Sir Gunthar