chivalry

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 2 20:48:22 PDT 1997

Greetings, Cosyns and Good Health Unto You All,

A good cosyn in Caid received (by strange and virtual ways) my rant upon the
recent to-do in the Ring of the Boxe.  With Sir William's permission (which
I have received) I wished to share this gem with you all.

>Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 07:55:29 -0700 (PDT)
>To: amazing at mail.utexas.edu
>From: William Shipley <shipley at sure.net>
>Subject: chivalry
>
>Dear Dennis:
>
>I pulled your email address off of the post you made to the Ansteorran list
>which passed through the Aten list on it's way to the Caiden list.  I noted
>a tone of discouragement that I wanted to respond to.
>
>In the SCA, we DO honor chivalry and honor.  Because we are imperfect, we
>often fall short of our ideals.  But this is a lot different than not having
>those ideals.  At our worst, we are still far better than the standards of
>"sportsmanship" displayed in the media.  Try to imagine the results of a
>fighter trying to punch and kick the marshals while being separated from his
>opponent!
>
>I have also seen examples of less-than-ideal chivalry, but I have also seen
>many more shining examples that make me proud to be a participant.  I think
>that the key is to strive for these ideals, honor our fellow participants
>who strive with us and understand that we will be less than complete in our
>success.  The fact that we even try sets us far apart from the standards of
>sportsmanship taught in our schools and parks.  Personally, I think that the
>glass is at least 90% full.
>
>As a father, I am deeply pleased to have been able to bring up my son in the
>SCA.  At 14, he has a personal chivalry and honor that is confounding to his
>classmates.  A couple of years ago, he was showing me his computer game
>where you run around blasting the Nazi's.  When he persuaded me to take my
>turn, a point came when a door opened and there was one of the Nazi's facing
>the other way.  I quickly blasted him.  My son then said, "Dad, you can't
>shoot him in the back, you are a Knight!".  I thought about this a moment
>and then agreed with him.  From then on, I waited for the opponents to turn
>around.  Sometimes we just have to stop and think.
>
>We are less than perfect, but at least we CARE.  Don't stop caring.
>
>Sir William Schuyler
>Caid

Hoping my delight with this letter isn't just a Knight thing or a Dad thing,
je reste

le votre pour vous servir

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin
English Department
Recovering Medievalist
amazing at mail.utexas.edu

The banana is great, but the skin of the banana is greater still.
                                                        -George Orwell