BoD Ruling

Lori Jones LJONES at ossm.edu
Wed Jul 9 21:03:11 PDT 1997

> Hey, I've heard some rumblings on the Cooks list but does anyone
> know what is the newly controversial ruling by the BoD about
> alcohol?  I've gotten some ideas but I don't really know what the
> full ruling is.

> Anybody?
> Gunthar

Nobody here.  I don't know about a *new* ruling, but I can volunteer
what I know about Ansteorran rules (after 2 & 1/2 years helping with
the kingdom treasurer's office).  I'm going to just assume that you
mean purchasing alcohol for use in cooking/preparing SCA feasts using
SCA funds (group $, etc.).  Corporate Treasurer's guidelines once
made provision for this, HOWEVER, here in Ansteorra, we have long
had a policy that states we NEVER purchase alcohol with SCA funds -
to be used in cooking or otherwise.  I think the policy was put into
effect when the limited-use purchase allowance was abused too often.

In addition to groups who didn't adhere to the rule properly, there
was always the problem of dishes which were not cooked - thus they
had fairly high alcohol content when served.  The problems with this
were probably due to people who had allergic reactions to the
alcohol used or someone complaining that minors had open access to
the dish, etc.....  In short, there were just *way* too many problems
(not to mention legal liability) that could come from failure to cook
all of the "alcohol" out of the dish.

Here's a suggestion I've heard given by the treasurer's office on
ways to finance the purchase of alcohol to use in cooked dishes
to be served at SCA events:  take up a private collection where
people donate money specifically for the purpose of providing
cooking wine, etc. to be used to prepare feasts.  Never, EVER,
deposit this money into your group's account (as it then complicates
things severely for your group's treasurer).

I'm not presuming to speak on behalf of the Kingdom of Ansteorra,
(who me?)  so if you question the validity of anything I've said,
please contact your kingdom treasurer's office for confirmation.

My guess is, even if the BoD has a new ruling, our Kingdom will still
be held to our guidelines *unless their new rule is MORE strict than
ours*.

I'd be interested in hearing about the new rule.

- Kat (you did say "anybody") MacLochlainn
Lori Campbell
Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics, Library
LJONES at ossm.edu

(Opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer)