ANST - Viking Answer Lady Updates
gunnora at bga.com
Fri Jul 25 19:27:12 PDT 1997
There are a variety of articles by the Viking Answer Lady regarding the
history and the culture of the Viking Age located at
The Viking Answer Lady page has been updated with some new answers
regarding Viking invasions of Wales and the history of the term "White
Christ" in addition to many answers previously posted.
Answers Available Online:
* Aren't Vikings just raiders? Aren't you misusing the term "Viking"?
* A time line of Viking history
* What did the Vikings eat?
* What did the Viking women wear?
* What kind of ships did the Vikings sail?
* What kind of navigation tools did the Vikings have?
* What kind of games did the Vikings play?
* Can you explain the different types of Viking poetry?
* What kind of wedding ceremonies did the Vikings use?
* What was a berserker? Did all Vikings bite their shields?
* What kind of armor and weapons did the Vikings use?
* Did the Vikings believe in ghosts?
* Did the Vikings invade Wales to any significant extent?
* How did the Vikings regard homosexuality?
* Why did the Vikings call Jesus "the White Christ"?
* Are the Kensington and Heavener Runestones authentic?
* How can I shop for amber today and not get cheated?
Viking Answer Lady was originally developed as a column for the Bear
Necessities, the newsletter of the S.C.A. Barony of Bjornsborg. The Viking
Answer Lady has returned via the marvels of the World Wide Web to unravel
enigmas and unscrew the inscrutable as it concerns the lives and times of
the Scandinavians prior to 1000 A.D. She will gladly attempt to answer any
questions posed by you, the Gentle Reader, in order to dispel the many
myths and obfuscations that surround what has come to be known as the
Send your questions to The Viking Answer Lady at gunnora at bga.com
If you have previously posed a question, rest assured that the Viking
Answer Lady is catching up on her research backlog, and will have an answer
for you as soon as possible. Some questions are answerable quickly if the
necessary references are on hand, while others require library searches and
oftentimes Interlibrary Loan.
Some topics soon to be elucidated on the Viking Answer Lady's web page:
* Old Norse Names: a list of Viking names, nicknames, and their meanings
plus information on
Viking naming practices.
* The Varangian Guard
* Holmgang, the Viking form of the duel
* Viking Funerals
* Viking Hairstyles
* Viking Tattoos
* Viking voyages for trade and raiding, in the Mediterranian and the
Northern coast of Africa
* Herbs, herbal medicine and herbal magic in the North
* Viking age music, musical instruments, & modern discographies of
reconstructed Norse music
Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)
To be removed from the Ansteorra mailing list, please send a message to
Majordomo at Ansteorra.ORG with the message body of "unsubscribe ansteorra".
More information about the Ansteorra