Condom Moral Dilemma

Lord Larkin O'Kane larkin at webstar.net
Wed Jul 23 12:24:42 PDT 1997

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:24:02 -0500, you wrote:

>>When parents request copies of
>>medical records, these portions of the records are not given out unless
>>the child consents to this.  If you ask, beg, cajole, threaten legal
>>action, etc., I will not tell you if your teenager is being treated for
>>these things.
>

>It's sad indeed to think that the 'rights' of children who can barely
>comprehend the potential long-term gravity of their actions outweigh the
>rights of the parents who have struggled and sacrificed for years to raise
>them.

I really don't see what "rights of the parents" has to do with
distribution of condoms.  Parents have the right (obligation?) to
teach their children.  Children have the ability (right?) to disregard
that teaching.  When they _do_ disregard that teaching I would hope
they picked up on the obligation (priviledge?) of protecting
themselves.

I really don't understand a parent who claims to be a responsible
parent and tells people "Don't give my child a condom when he/she's
going to have sex."  This, in my opinion, is gross negligence, as well
as gross ignorance and plain stupidity.

If a parent has raised their child to abstain from sex I pray that
child heeds that raising, but if that child chooses to ignore that
raising; then pray that somehow that child obtains a condom and not
AIDS.

Larkin
===

Larkin