ANST - Queen's Champion

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Wed Jul 23 16:14:50 PDT 1997

+ -- RapierNet - From HSRachel at aol.com --

I am sending this out to both Ansteorran and KW Dons' Lists and to RapierNet
to try to reach as many Ansteorrans as possible.  Could someone please repost
this to AnsteorraNet, too?  Thanks to the rest of you for your indulgence.

As you all know, this Saturday is Queen's Champion.  This is going to be a
VERY BIG event since it is to be combined with Coronation.  Therefore it is
PARAMOUNT that the tournament be conducted on time and as smoothly as
possible.  SO:

1.  >I< am gonna be starting armor inspection at 0700 Sat morning.  I
beg/urge/request that as many other Don/as as might join me as soon
thereafter as possible.  I think it would be very good for us to be seen as
"running" this tournament for our Queen.

2.  The tournament is set to start IMMEDIATELY after Her Highnesses opening
remarks.  That is 0900 SHARP!  Those of you who remember Alisha's last
Queen's should know that when she says "sharp," she means it.  So, get
inspected early so you can get signed into the list early, so that you can
warm up early, and help out early, and together we can all get everything
going smoothly without delay.., please.

3.  Her Highness still wants the first 2 rounds to be by challenge.  How this
will work:

Immediately after Alisha's remarks (and our recitation of "I, Tivar
Moondragon, ...") we will form into two lines.  The Dons in one and the
non-Dons in the other.  The Dons will line up in Order of "creation."  The
others any way it works out.  To even up the 2 sides the Dons, starting with
Tivar, will go over to the other side and and select someone to come over and
stand with them.  Once the sides are even, the Dons will one by one challenge
someone in the opposing line.  The combattants will then repair to one of the
8 fields and fight.  At the end of that round, we will AGAIN line up and this
time the non-Dons will challenge the Dons (+).  At the end of this second
challenge round the tournament will be paired like a double-elimination.  As
the number of bouts per field shrinks we will close off the more distant
fields.

What does this mean?

A)  To the Dons:  figure out where you fit in chronological order if you do
not already know.  ALSO have in mind several choices for who you would like
to "bring over" and who you want to challenge.  These are gonna be the
slowest parts of the tournament, but they are the specific desires of Her
Highness.  Report any exceptional acts to her highness.  8 fields are a lot
to watch!

B)  To the non-Dons:  Have in mind who you want to challenge in the second
round.

C) To ALL: Please do not tarry.  Promptly report to your assigned field for
your bouts.  There are going to be 8 fields, as I said, so you will NOT be
able to rely on the heralds' calls to "make ready."  Please move swiftly back
into lines for the second round of challenges.  Fight cleanly and honorably
and reconcile any disputes on the field.

4.  Please, please, please take care of yourselves.  The temperature is
expected to be c. 99 degrees.  The site is virtually devoid of breeze and is
situated right next to a river, making the humidy quite high.  Please drink
lots of fluids and mind that tempers flare quickly in such weather.  At
Alisha's last Queen's we had NO heat casualties in the tournament (heat index
106 degrees).  I want to keep my record clean.

5. FINALLY, to everyone, fighters and non-fighters alike, please volunteer to
herald, run list cards, water-bear, serve feast, and marshal.  More hands
make lighter work.

I thank you all for your attention and hope you all have a safe trip to our
event.

Jasper Sommerfield
Coordinator, Queen's Champion Tournament