ANST - Re: chirurgeons

Lori Jones LJONES at ossm.edu
Wed Jul 23 16:00:42 PDT 1997

> Eowyn here -

> ...It is my opinion that providing condoms to minors is not
> treatment nor is it dispensement of treatment.
>  <snip>
> I am not familiar with the chiurgeonate's rules
> and regulations to know whether or not they "card" anyone
> requesting their services...

I'd always thought that the name "chirurgeon" only identified
individuals willing to offer basic assistance in emergency
situations.  It doesn't, as far as I know, give anyone permission
or "license" to treat even a cut finger.  The bottom line being, a
chirurgeon assumes all personal liability when they offer medical
assistance based on their own professed credentials.  I believe, in
order to be warranted, an individual only has to be able to
administer basic first-aid.  I'm not even sure if CPR is
required. It seems to me that a chirurgeon would be ahead of the
game to make sure someone was of age before assisting them in any
fashion.  They should definitely obtain parental consent before
giving them anything designated as a supply from the chirurgeon's
box.

(another  $.02)

- Kat MacL.

Lori Campbell