ANST - Long Courts, Loud Populace

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Jul 30 16:23:40 PDT 1997

Gunnora wrote:
>And this is polite?  Talen, it might be better to speak directly to the
>people acting badly at the time they are doing it.  Nonetheless, I
>guarantee that even if you had had pin-drop silence from the entire
>populace, you'd still have had a difficult time hearing anything.

     Talon's statement is pretty much what we practice and preach in
Mooneschadowe. Those Mooneschadeen who are court fanatics are easy to
spot. We sit close to, if not on, the front row of court. We are
reasonably quiet. If we want to say something to one of our group, we
lean over & talk quietly or whisper in their ears. Those members of our
group who do not want to attend court, or do not enjoy court,
*don't*attend*it*. I don't really know where they go, I just know that
they're not the ones being loud, noisy and obnoxious during court.
There's nothing that says everyone has to attend court. Court is not the
place to start partying.

     I think this is part and parcel with the fact that people don't
shut up when a herald makes site announcements. Everyone is briefly
silent after the "oyez", but once the herald says something like "armor
inspection..." or "classes starting..." those people who aren't
interested in armor inspection or classes immediately start talking
again, while the herald is continuing to deliver his announcement.
Nevermind that the herald might say something that they are interested
in.

     IMHO, it seems that most people in the sca are indeed rude in this
area of being quiet and paying attention at court or to a herald making
announcements. Maybe it's different elsewhere. I would hope so.

Estrill
one of those rabble rousers from
Mooneschadoweshire

ps - I don't necessarily agree with everything Talen wrote, but the
above statement, I definitely agree with!