ANST - Quiet Court, Loud Crowd

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Jul 30 15:24:54 PDT 1997

Britta the Red said:
>I think by now, almost all of us have been to the court we never heard.
>Sometimes it has been the quiet voices of their majesties, and sometimes
>it has been the rowdy crowd.
>My question is to Honorable Lady Gunnora, What are we, unremarkable
>gentles of the Kingdom supposed to do about this? Surely, you are not
>suggesting calling someone down in court? Perhaps you could, but not I.
>Though I've had occasions to wish I could, I wouldn't do that. Speaking
>of it after the fact has never helped.

Personally, if someone near me (or not near me sometimes) is making a lot
of noise, even mundanely such as in a movie theater, or at an SCA eveent, I
might go to them and politely say something along the lines of, "Excuse me,
I am having a hard time hearing.  Could you hold it down a little, please?"

Noticing some of the ruckus going on with people who I knew who weretrying
to get my attention  at the long court this weekend, I got up and limped
over in an effort to encourage quietness.  It didn't help much.  But I tried.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)