ANST - Talen's hot butto

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Thu Jul 31 10:04:47 PDT 1997

Mark Harris 7/30/97 5:00 PM

>But it isn't just the King's time. It is the time of the other twenty,
>forty or two hundred people gathered for court. The taking of squires
>and associates is a private matter, with no official standing. It is
>unfair to subject the multitude to this. If you want a public ceremony,
>do it during feast, or between tournament rounds or in a private
>household ceremony. This is the reason some people avoid courts and
>that these side converstions that some folks were objecting to get
>started.

The taking of a squire or apprentice is a public matter because of what
both agree to.  It is a very proud moment and it shouldn't be surprising
that the person wants to share it with their friends.  A few minutes to
take a squire/apprentice (particularly when done in a period manner of
apprenticing from which we all can learn something new about the middle
ages) hurts no one and continues the pagentry of the society and court.
There are lots of things that occur in court that many people could care
less about, from folks they don't know getting awards to gift
presentations to skits and so forth.   I for one enjoy courts and like
seeing all the pagentry, award presentations and anything thats adds to
it. That is not to say there are not other ways to take a squire or
apprentice and certainly at events where courts are going to be 4 hrs
plus maybe other ways should be found, but I see nothing wrong with doing
it in court if the crown so agrees.

Clarissa