Chivalry, Grace, and Women

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Wed Jul 16 12:21:08 PDT 1997

Okay, here goes.

> So, my questions for the ladies and men of the Ironrose are these:
> 1. Is chivalry different for men than for women?

In theory, no. Specifically, yes.  The tenets of chivalry and honor should hold
true for either sex.  Assisting those weaker in need of aid, being honorable in
speech and manner, honoring all oaths, etc... These work no matter who they are
applied to.  That doesn't mean that a delicate lady has to take the ice cooler
from the burly guy but she can get someone to help him.

> 2. Can you give an example of a traditionally female courtesy that
> exemplifies chivalry?

The woman's tradition of welcoming guests.  It is usually the tradition that the
woman of the house gives welcome, food, and comfort in a house. These actions
exemplify many of the requirements of chivalry.  Also, the woman's traditional
role as healer ties neatly into some of the concepts.

> 4. Do you agree/disagree with the statement that grace is the feminine
> mirror of the masculine virtue of chivalry? Why or why not?

I feel that is a good assertion with certain differences.  Part of chivalry
is rightous anger and protection. Women are certainly capable of this but I
don't think "grace" is a proper phrase for this state.  I also feel that being
honorable with grace is far more difficult than simple chivalry.  People, men
or women, who are able to pull it off have my greatest admiration.

> 5. If so, then can you give an example of a traditionally female courtesy
> that exemplifies grace?

The way women can totally wrap us around their little fingers with just a twitch
of an eyebrow but still have the kindness to let us think we're still in charge.

> 7. Do you believe that the SCA values grace equally with chivalry?

Yes.  People worthy of honor and respect usually recieve it.

> 8. Would grace be a consideration when evaluating a woman for squireship or
> knighthood? Why or why not?

If I considered grace to be the female equivalent of chivalry, then yes.  But
that would be just one of my considerations. Prowess, field chivalry, grace,
leadership ability, worth to the Kingdom and Society amongst others.

> 9. Should grace be a consideration when evaluating a woman for squireship
> or knighthood? Why or why not?

Grace should be a consideration for squireship or knighthood for a man or woman.

> This should get some interesting dialogue going...don't flame me too hard.

Flame? moi?

> Respectfully submitted

Respectfully replied.

> Sabina