cooking w/alcohol (was: BoD ruling)

Lori Jones LJONES at ossm.edu
Thu Jul 17 19:06:30 PDT 1997

> > Kat wrote:
> >I'm going to just assume that you mean purchasing alcohol
> >for use in cooking/preparing SCA feasts using SCA funds

> Nope. They mean SELLING, or more to the point, RE-SELLING.
> <snip.

I think if you'll remember, Sir Gunther posted the original question
and said it was brought over from the "cooks" list.  Now, I know that
he is already aware that SCA money can't purchase alcohol for
re-sale, (i.e. kegs at tavern, etc.) so I just figured (kind-of a
common sense thing) that he meant alcohol to use in cooking (he's
kinda into that cooking thing :-)).

> In particular, if a group (in a state where it is legal to do so)
> sells or distributes booze they take on liability for the actions of
> those who drink too much, just like a bartender.

I think most of our kingdom's leadership are aware of those
laws.  I've been in quite a few Great Officer's meetings over the
last 3-4 years where this topic was discussed, most often the
Lord High Chancellor was in attendance.  He and the other officers
addressed these liability problems - hence the "no alcohol" rule we
currently have.

To be honest, I don't see a problem with discussing Kingdom Policy
on this or any subject in a public forum.  Our kingdom policy is more
than sufficient to make our stand official on the alcohol issue.
Also, most of the kingdom officers I know take the approach that it
is better to admit that mistakes were made and learn from them than
to adopt a hush-hush attitude.  Besides, if the responses I've seen
are any indication, there are many out there who needed to know this,
and what better way to get information out quickly?  I really don't
expect anyone to take my word for all this, but it could, perhaps
motivate people with questions to seek counsel from the proper
sources.

When I say there are groups who broke the rule, I was sticking to
my subject and meant regarding the purchase of alcohol in minute
quantities for use in cooking. I know, if you want to get technical,
you could say that selling feasts which include dishes prepared
with alcohol is re-selling the alcohol.  However, as most dishes
*cooked* with alcohol have little or no alcohol content after
cooking, it would eliminate the problem of liability.  I mean, no
one is likely to leave a feast legally intoxicated from eating, say,
beef marinated in wine.

- Kat M.
 (just giving another opinion...)