cooking w/alcohol (was: BoD ruling)

W. C. Smith artorius at ionet.net
Fri Jul 18 16:47:55 PDT 1997

At 05:10 PM 7/18/97 -0500, you wrote:
<Big Snip!>
>I do not know the history behind the reason Ansteorra choose a policy of
>"no purchase of alcohol with sca funds for ANY reason, including
>cooking". I would like to though.  Many, many period recipes require wine
>as an ingredient.  These are good recipes, Pears in Wine Sauce for
>instance. Since my choices for period recipes to serve at feasts will be
>limited I would like to know the reason why.
>
>Clarissa

I fear some gentles have missed the point of this Policy.  It does not say
that you can't USE alcohol in feast cooking... only that you can't BUY
alcohol with SCA funds.  If you need some sort of alcohol for a recipe,
simply buy it yourself or take up a collection.  It's really not that big
of a deal.

Baron Artorius
Kingdom Seneschal