cooking w/alcohol (was: BoD ruling)

Burke McCrory burkemc at ionet.net
Fri Jul 18 17:12:17 PDT 1997

At 05:10 PM 7/18/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Lori Jones 7/17/97 9:06 PM
>
>>When I say there are groups who broke the rule, I was sticking to
>>my subject and meant regarding the purchase of alcohol in minute
>>quantities for use in cooking. I know, if you want to get technical,
>>you could say that selling feasts which include dishes prepared
>>with alcohol is re-selling the alcohol.  However, as most dishes
>>*cooked* with alcohol have little or no alcohol content after
>>cooking, it would eliminate the problem of liability.  I mean, no
>>one is likely to leave a feast legally intoxicated from eating, say,
>>beef marinated in wine.
>
>I doubt the Texas state laws would see alcohol used in cooking as
>'reselling' alcohol.  However, if the state laws DO include this, I doubt
>that my personally buying the alcohol used as an ingredient in cooking a
>menu item at a feast instead of the SCA would skirt the laws of
>'reselling' since folks would still be buying the feast. I think I will
>find out how the Texas laws really apply here.
>
>I do not know the history behind the reason Ansteorra choose a policy of
>"no purchase of alcohol with sca funds for ANY reason, including
>cooking". I would like to though.  Many, many period recipes require wine
>as an ingredient.  These are good recipes, Pears in Wine Sauce for
>instance. Since my choices for period recipes to serve at feasts will be
>limited I would like to know the reason why.
>
>Clarissa

Clarissa,
Your choice of reciepes is not linited by the Ansteorran policy.  You
simple will no be able to purchase the alcohol with SCA funds.  As HE
Artorius said before most people by the alcohol with their own money and
donate it to the feast.  If that won't work try passing the hat.  As to the
reasons I think that it came about from the problems of over purchasing
quantity and drinking what was not used in cooking the feast.

In Service to the Dream

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald
Kingdom of Ansteorra

mka. Burke McCrory