ANST - Re: Condom Moral Dilemma

amazing at mail.utexas.edu amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 23 14:48:15 PDT 1997

Greetings, Cosyn,

Lyonel ici.

You note:

>I really don't understand a parent who claims to be a responsible
>parent and tells people "Don't give my child a condom when he/she's
>going to have sex."  This, in my opinion, is gross negligence, as well
>as gross ignorance and plain stupidity.
>
>If a parent has raised their child to abstain from sex I pray that
>child heeds that raising, but if that child chooses to ignore that
>raising; then pray that somehow that child obtains a condom and not
>AIDS.

I'm with you, Cosyn.  Unfortunately, the opposition still believes--as
Viscount Galen put it--that giving out condoms "subsidizes" sex. They
figure a free condom is approval.  Of course, these are the same folk,
generally,  who believe sex education will cause sex.

Gross ignorance?  Ehhh, maybe naivete.

The really scary part, for me, is the frequently unspoken subtext of this
argument:  quite a few of these folks believe anyone who engages in
premarital sex--even one of their own children--somehow *deserves* the
negative consequences.   For people of this mindset, a condom eliminates
the negative consequences.

lo vostre por vos servir

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace