ANST - Fimo

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Jul 30 10:05:17 PDT 1997

Ailikn asked:
>      Okay, just one more question and then I will slip back into lurk
>mode!  UUhhmm, what is fimo?  As in, Mistress Gunnora will be teaching
>fimo carving @ the College, and I have no idea what that is.  Thank you
>for your abundant patience w/ a newbie!

Fimo is PVC clay... the same stuff that makes up the white plumbing pipes.
Fimo, however, like its competing brands (Sculpey, Promat, Cernit) comes in
a wide range of colors.

Fimo is definitely a non-period material... but you can use it to simulate
millefiori in beadmaking.  You can also use it to simulate ivory, copal,
turquoise, jade, coral, malachite, lapis lazuli and other gems that your
budget might not be able to afford.

Best of all, the stuff is relatively inexpensive.  You cook it at 270
degrees in your home oven (not forgetting proper venbtilation!)  It's
versatile.

I've been teaching folks how to do the bead technique for the last five
years or so.  I've recently started teaching people how to do the faux
ivory (for example, the "carved ivory" box I didplayed at the last Laurel's
Prize Tourney was Fimo faux ivory over a wooden frame).

You can post me privately if you have further questions.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)