ANST - Talen's hot button issue - court

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jul 30 21:29:38 PDT 1997

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Paul Mitchell <paul.t.mitchell at lmco.com> wrote:
> I discouraged them as much as possible, but as herald I am not
> inclined to tell the King's vassal that they can't have time in the
> King's court.

It's not the herald's court, it's the Crown's court!  It's not the
herald's right to let *any* person into what is the *Crown's* court
(unless the Crown delegates the decisions, IMHO).  If the argument of
courtesy doesn't work for you, I note kingdom law VII.1.b.  "Any
person with business before the Royal Court shall petition the Crown
prior to the beginning of Court." as well as a, "The Royal Court shall
be in session, at the pleasure and convenience of the Crown, at any
event of the Society ...".

(I am told that some people went up and interrupted Madhi and
Valeria's stepping-down court.  If it wasn't with pre-arrangement with
the Crown, I think they should have been banished from the Royal
Presence on the spot, enforced by guards if necessary.  That's the
mildest banishment, the "get outta Our Faces" banishment: they have to
avoid the presence of the Crown, but have no other hinderance.)

(I make lots of jokes and snarky remarks, but I get Dead Serious when
I'm doing court.  It's a performance and I'll damned well do it right.)

When I was a local herald, I would talk to the baron early.  I might
say, "It's Warlord / Twelfth Night, and there's a lot of business, so
I suggest there be no presentations, squirings, et cetera in court",
and Baron Edwin would then agree.  Actually, he'd probably start by
telling *me* that.  Sometimes, tho, he'd say "It's a small revel /
event, and there's no royalty present to hold court, so sure, let's
have presentations.".  When crying the camp / hall, I'd usually say
"Presentations may be made to the baron during feast" or "If you have
business in baronial court, please see me", respectively.

-- Also note that Steppes courts under Edwin should never end with the
herald asking, "Is there any other business before this court?".  If
he does say that, I would expect it to be a mistake.  It was always
"There being no further business, ...".  There have been rare
exceptions of interruptions, but it's usually something very major
("they're towing cars", expensive lost property, that sort of thing).
I would strongly advise against interrupting court unless it's major
and you're willing to take the heat.

--
Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com