ANST - Music in Courts-

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Jul 31 12:06:45 PDT 1997

Baroness Zara Zina Theanos asked:

>I like music at court - Of course, I like live, period music anytime, but
how do the >rest of you feel about it?  Is it too distracting?  Does it add
to the general ambiance >for you?  Do you appreciate the musicians?

I liked the music. At first, I wasn't sure if it was live or a tape. They did
very good job on volume. They could be heard, at least in the front rows
where
we were and yet they were not so loud as to distract from the court itself. I
tend to listen to music as a background rather than concentrating on it.
Listening
to the music did help alleviate the real boredom of some parts of the court
like
when the peers were up mumbling oaths to the new king. (Sorry, but that's how
I saw it. I highly recommend the group oaths. Do a group oath then if you
want a
personalized oath, do it later in a small court or on the field or elsewhere.
True, the individual oath is more period, but they didn't do it every six
months.)

I appreciate having live muscians during courts and feasts and even more at
dance practice. Someday, I may even take up the guitar or recorder again.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com