Peers and students...

barbara at mail.topher.net barbara at mail.topher.net
Sun Jun 1 15:01:58 PDT 1997

Pug Bainter wrote:

> A protege is a student to a Pelican. I honestly don't know if there
> is a true teacher-student relationship here since you can't teach
> service.

I keep hearing this argument in this kingdom, and frankly I can't
agree.

How do you teach someone to be an artist?  You can't, but you
can guide them in thier work, encourage, be a cheerleader.

The same is true for service.  No, you can't take just any one and
make them do the kind of work that makes a Pelican, but you surly can
guide the way.  There are  a lot of people that want to serve but
don't have a focus for the service, or the self-confidence to step in
and voluteer.  Those people would surely benifit from someone of
stature taking their hand.  I don't see the possition of protogee
(how do you spell that anyway?) as being a egocentric grasping for
stature anymore than any of the other relationships that have been
readily accepted in Ansteorra.

Do any of you think that the lack of protogees here might be one
reason there are so few Pelicans made each year?  Or is my perseption
in correct.  It seems to me that there have been many more Knights
and Laurels made in the nine years I have been here.

Aelfric of Alburn
Black Oak Keep