Peers and students...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Jun 2 05:56:58 PDT 1997

>> A protege is a student to a Pelican. I honestly don't know if there
>> is a true teacher-student relationship here since you can't teach
>> service.
> I keep hearing this argument in this kingdom, and frankly I can't
> agree.

Well if we all agreed, we wouldn't be having much of a discussion.
*grin*

> How do you teach someone to be an artist?  You can't, but you
> can guide them in thier work, encourage, be a cheerleader.

Actually I see a more teacher-student relationship in the arts than in
service. This is just a matter of opinion though.

> I don't see the possition of protogee
> (how do you spell that anyway?) as being a egocentric grasping for
> stature anymore than any of the other relationships that have been
> readily accepted in Ansteorra.

I don't see any of the positions as being egocentric. I can see
individuals being that way, but it wouldn't matter what they were doing
they would still be that way.

> Do any of you think that the lack of protogees here might be one
> reason there are so few Pelicans made each year?

Or is it the simple case that excellence in service is tough to gauge?
How many events must one autocrat? How many local and Kingdom offices be
held? Who notices the people hidding in the kitchen and the ones cleaning
up after everyone left?

Ciao,