Peers and students...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Jun 2 05:49:51 PDT 1997

>>> _Much_ can be taught in the way
>>> of autocratting techniques, how to know when to resign from office, how
>>> to become a more expert herald, how to be a better leader, how to gauge
>>> how many people are likely to attend an event, how to deal with people,
>>> local history (invaluable to those who expect to interact with others
>>> who are in touch with local history), and much more.
>>  To be honest, I hadn't even thought of these things needing to be tought
>>  to become a pelican. I think some of these are things that every society
>>  member should know.
>        So far I have stayed out of this discussion in favor of all the "wiser
> heads" and have enjoyed the cogent statements everyone has offered.  But when
> you try to pile such a heavy burden on "every society member", I must
> protest.

Thank you.

> I do not know some of the things on the above list, and have been
> associated with our society for more than 15 years.

I did not say *all* of these things, I said *some*.

Everyone should know when to resign from office/when they are being
burnt out (be it SCA or not), how to be a better leader, how to deal
with people, and more about local history. ("Those who don't know history
are doomed to repeat it.") These are all things that make us better
individuals, as well as better society members.

I think it's a good idea that everyone have an idea about how many
people will attend an event, so they call tell if someone is trying to
pull the wool over their eyes. Fortunately this is not a necessity since
there are those in each group who do know this.

And I admit that not all of these things appeal to me, such as
autocratting or heraldry.

> Everyone has a different emphasis and a different activity level.

No matter what your activity level, you must know how to deal with
people, unless you want to be alone and bored. *wink*

>      I want to be a Laurel because I feel that some of the things I do now
> are of very high quality, and I want to be able to share my opinion with
> others.  I have seen it before, that unless I have those leaves, many people
> discount my opinions and research.  And the recognition of course is fun.

Thank you! I was hoping to hear from people who are not already a peer.
I appreciate it greatly.

Ciao,