MSCA (was: Re: MOA)

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 4 23:10:19 PDT 1997

Greetings, Cosyns,

Lyonel ici.

Daniel de Lincoln ponders:

>I may be about to step on a chili-coated caltrop here, but I'll
>cheerfully rush in where angels are all but putting up police yellow
>hazard tape.

No, Daniel, allow me to shield you and take that caltrop in _my_ boot.  My
understanding is approximately as you have stated it:

<snippage of protocol questions>
>*Anyway*.  I gather from the student's posting that Daniel resigned
>his white belt, was immediately made a Master of Arms, and this
>quieted things down.  Doesn't that give major ammunition to those who
>think that the Master of Arms is a lesser rank?  The implication I see
>is that the Chivalry thought "I may be torqued that he got even a
>baldric, but at least he's not a knight any more".

I, for one, am still torqued by the entire incident.  Yes, this childish
nonsense _does_ suggest MSCAs are held in less esteem than KSCAs in
Ansteorra.  Personally,, I concur with the earlier posting which noted that
MSCAs are a non-period practice, and I would rather see that whole
subsection stricken from Corpora.  In the mean time, however, we certainly
have no rational rationale for treating MSCAs as a lower ranking chivalry.

Yours in Disgruntled but admittedly far too infrequent service,

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin
English Department
Recovering Medievalist

"Oh God comma I abhor self-consciousness."  --JB