Herbal Guilds

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 5 05:46:38 PDT 1997

  To Ailikn-Thyrie of Uppsala
        We started an Herbalist's Guild here in Bryn Gwlad.  We have been
meeting for about three months and are getting ready to have our fourth
meeting.
It's been pretty laid back.  The first meeting we did an "herb walk"  where
we went out and did wild plant identification ( edible, dye plant,
medicinal,, etc.)  The second meeting we did a field trip to a local Herb
nursery and bought plants.  The third is when we actually sat down and set
up some meetings.
        What we are going to do this next meeting is Drying and Preserving
Herbs... methods, shortcuts and such.  I haven't done the hand out yet but
if you send me your street address, I will be happy to send you one when
it's ready. The meeting in July will be oils and vinegars (more preserving
techniques as well as culinary)  In August we will work on herbs in brewing
and beverages and in September, one of the members is going to teach us how
to make soap.  We haven't scheduled any other meetings for October,
November or December yet.
        There are currently about 9 - 10 people who are interested in
participating with varying degrees of background knowledge.  So far
everyone has imput which is really nice.  At the next meeting, everyone
will have researched about one herb and will share what they find out along
with the main topic.

Let me know if you need any other information

Clare R. St. John, who the acting co-ordinator for the guild.