If Daniel was Emperor...(was Re: MOA)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Jun 5 12:19:54 PDT 1997

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Dieterich <cjw at vvm.com> wrote:
> Ok Daniel... I have just elevated you to "Grand High Emperor of the
> SCA".

*blush*  I'd like to thank all the little people who made this possible ...

> Make what changes you will to the SCA award system and post them
> here to let us know.

Step 1) Ask Hossein al Qomi, Tim of Angle, Arval Benecoeur, and a few
        others to form a committee to adapt period to our constraints.
Step 2) Implement their recommendations.

OK, OK, I'm weaseling.  I'd basically align the major points with
period practice, both reality and tournament societies.  (I understand
the latter were somewhat common in period, and chose "kings" for
themselves.  What were these societies like?  They look like a close
period model for what we do.)

Some glaring points that come to mind:

If we want to have dukes, counts, etc., then we have to give them
power, authority, and territory, just like in period.  Counts had
counties.  Dukes had duchies.  (Well, except at the start, sort of.
By late medieval times, I believe they generally did.)  It wouldn't be
a retirement title (necessarily).

Barons outranking knights.

People who do good service get nobility (nobilesse de la robe?),
artists get ... um ...nobility too?  Royal posts?

Reward using lots more offices, generally honorific.  King's
Gonfalonier.  Queen's Extra Lady of the Bedchamber.  Chancellor (for
the head scribe, of course).  Alderman.  Lots fewer awards and types
of awards, unless someone finds examples of period places where a king
had half a gazillion "orders" and "awards".  Find other ways to
reward: privileges, small goods (brooches, say), large goods (cloaks),
augmentations of arms, ...

Baronies within shires.  More flexibility in group structure -- where
are the city-states, communes, and free cities?

I agree wholeheartedly with Galen of Bristol: we're using our notions
about Victorians' ideas about medieval romances' fantasies about a
more-or-less mythical King Arthur.  Also, it's pretty much too late to
change, alas.

--
Daniel de Lincoln, Grand High Emperor du jour of the SCA
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com
tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.