ASCII Extended characters in email

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Sat Jun 7 23:31:35 PDT 1997

Sir Lyonel inquired as to how I was getting my mailer to use characters such
as ash, thorn, wyn, acutes, graves and the like:

ÆæÁáÅåÄäÉéÍíÐðØøÖöÓóÞþÝýÚú

I simply went and inserted all these characters from the ASCII extended
character set into a document in MS Word then cut & pasted them into a email
message, which I then stored in my reference folder.  When I want to use the
dratted things, it means cutting and pasting, but I do a lot of
correspondence with other Old Norse scholars, not to mention modern
Icelanders, so I needed access to the extended character set.

I use Eudora as my mailer, which accepts all the extended ASCII characters
just fine.  Since I realize that some mailers DON'T show the extended
characters, I have included a phonetic transliteration of my farewell and
motto so it can be read even by the special-characters-challenged mail readers.

If your mail reader can get the special characters listed above, you can cut
& paste them into your own documents to your heart's content.  If, on the
other hand, all you see are a bunch of equal signs and garbage after the
first paragraph above, your mailer can't handle the extended characters.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)