Reality

Lori Jones LJONES at ossm.edu
Sun Jun 8 23:56:41 PDT 1997

> Aquilanne wrote to Galen:
(Subj: swearing fealty and reality)
> We've also been privy to cases where one individual had it in for
> another individual in some area or another of SCA politics, and
> ended up doing some rather nasty things to each other mundanely
> (y'know, marriages, jobs, etc.)
> The game we play, ...*does* attract some folks who...can tend to be
> reality-challenged.

> What might your thoughts be here?
> Aquilanne

I'm actually interested in everyone's thoughts on this subject.  I've
always said that the SCA becomes a little too real sometimes -
especially for something that starts out as a fantastic role-playing
game.  I've never believed it more than in the last two years.

Right in the middle of the greatest time of personal loss I've ever
seen (I'm speaking of the entire kingdom, in general), while we try
to deal with all the grief these losses cost, I've seen opportunists
swim in like sharks smelling blood in the water.  I've seen otherwise
normal, caring people begin to lie, cheat or rewrite facts in order to
achieve a political goal.  Even if it meant taking something away
from a person who was already experiencing some of the most painful
and traumatic events a human being can withstand.  They just *had* to
take advantage of the opportunity.

I've also seen individuals who have suffered great loss turn around
and use their own loss in order to gain sympathy and achieve their own
personal goals - to the point where they would lie about what their
loved one wanted for them.  I've seen these same people turn
viciously on long-time friends when those friends were simply
offering *requested* counsel.

In these situations, I'd have to agree, that yes, the SCA is very
*real*.  The real effects of such events show up in the long run in
veru real ways (sometimes even in debilitating physical or
emotional breakdowns).  This is the same kind of reality we find in
the mundane world. Funny thing is, I thought we were all here to
avoid that.

It's easy to say, "if this is fantasy, I can get the same thing back
in the mundane world."  The fact that real and SCA politics has
become so similar is pretty scary.  All things considered, it *IS*
just a game that we choose to play.  Nobody forces us to spend this
kind of money or time trying to fulfil our own "dreams."

So, what can be done about this kind of "true to life" reality? Is it
initiated by individuals, or political factions, households, etc.?
Is there any way to weed it out?  I'm assuming we'd all like to be
rid of this kind of self-centered ambition so we can get on with the
practice of having fun and making dreams come true.....

I know... nobody asked me....(but that's never stopped me from
offering my opinion before)!

- Kat MacLochlainn